Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Meal Delivery Companies ... what do you think?

Hello Fresh vs. Chef'd

It's Expensive to Eat out in California!!!

So last year I tried out a meal delivery service, it was called Chef'd.  I enjoyed it because I was not locked in to trying 3 meals each and every week, and I was able to pick my meals from an extensive list of about 100 choices, though I wasn't totally pleased with the quality of the ingredients, I did like that the prices varied based on the recipe.  
We tried a few different meals and enjoyed all but one of them and that wasn't because the meal tasted bad, it was because it came with chicken thighs which I hate.  LOL
So in an effort put a bit more variety in to our meal planning (it seems I just can't plan a meal with new items that I love anymore my own), I have joined another meal plan company, Hello Fresh!
I am only doing the meals for 2 people x 3 meals per week (it's usually just Pat and I for dinner), with the option to change some of the meal choices I may not want to options we might prefer.  The choices are much more limited each week and I have the option to "opt out" for certain weeks.  I have also decided at this point to only do meals two weeks every month, opting out the other weeks unless we find that we need more.  The price is very good for a main course for two, it's a little shy of $10 per person, or about $20 per meal (I will add in salads or other veggies that we may like from our own grocery shopping). 
We went out for Italian food last night and it cost us with tip about $75 for 3 people, no dessert, no appetizers, no alcohol ... that's a lot of money.
With Hello Fresh for 3 meals a week, it will be less than the price of one night out, and for our first week I had a code so I only paid $29 for 3 meals (yay). 
Now, I'm not saying I won't be eating out anymore, but we really enjoy eating in and relaxing, it's cheaper and the food is usually better. 
My first 3 meals will arrive on the 30th, I can't wait to give them a try and the choices I made sound delicious.  Does anyone else have experience with this particular company?
If you do, I'd love to hear about it.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great idea to me. We haven't went that route yet, but there are a bunch out there to choose from.My hubby is a very creative cook, so I'm lucky that way in that it all doesn't fall to me. We found Cali to be crazy expensive when we visited the northern part this past year on our "way the hell out west tour" LOL.

    ReplyDelete